The change in so many emphases from the Old Testament to the New, leads many Christians to believe that the Old Testament has little to say to them about how to live out their faith day to day. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The Old Testament lays the foundations for the New, and Jesus' teaching is grounded firmly in the Old Testament, as is Paul's, Peter's, James's and John's. If we don't understand the Old, we will never fully understand how to obey our Lord Jesus, as he demands that we do.
Hebrews is a New Testament work so thoroughly rooted in the Old Testament, that it is impossible to understand it without reference to the Old. The author of Hebrews, in writing this sermon of exhortation, builds his argument on five key Old Testament passages, weaving in many others. In this course, we will examine the argument of Hebrews, how it uses the Old Testament passages, and how they are applied to the situation the recipients of Hebrews find themselves in. From this, we too will be able to apply the whole of scripture to our own life circumstances with confidence and faith.
The course consists of eight lessons:
- Introduction to Hebrews and the core Old Testament passages
- Jesus is greater than angels - Psalm 8 - Hebrews 2:5-18
- Jesus is greater than Moses - Psalm 95 - Hebrews 3:1-4:13
- Jesus our High Priest - Psalm 110 - Hebrews 4:14-7:28
- The new covenant - Jeremiah 31 - Hebrews 8:1-10:31
- By faith - Habakuk 2 - Hebrews 10:32-12:2
- Do not grow weary - Proverbs 3 - Hebrews 12:3-13:9
- Reflections, conclusions, and applications